Thursday, October 7, 2010

The view from after 4 times round

Wow! I mean bloody hell - wow! 4 times around Jersey in 2 days and 40% of the challenge done. I do feel pretty chuffed and chaffed now you come to think about it. It started with a cold ok let's face it man-flu - and on a rainy dark Wednesday morning watch the video on - http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUhCmrSnKT8U&h=966dc - and so it has gone on... the coverage by 103fm, BBC Jersey, the amazing JEP full page and impending showing on the CTV interview have all helped the great response I'm getting on the way around on my bike. I'm always very shy about asking for the money when strangers come up and say 'well done' and the like but offer not a penny, which to be fair is why I'm doing it. Day 1 left me exhausted but on a high. Paul Stone has been incredibly supportive, giving up a day of work to be alongside me for both of the laps of Day 1 together with weeks of training runs and huge amonts of time and advice. Without him this would have been an impossible task. Marc Le Sueur and the bike he built me, did'nt let me down either and both turned up for day 1 on both laps. The Bee's Knees Cafe on the North Coast are even our official suppliers of a cuppa on every lap.
Hurrah for Day 1. Day 2 was an awful first circuit in contrast - the wind against me made the ride so hard and slow. Everything makes you doubt whether you are going to do this, my right knee was screeming pain, throat sore, and energy levels at rock bottom - and that was only after 30 minutes. Anna was encouraging me along, but we both knew I was in trouble. A live chat on 103 with Peter Mac helped cheer me up and slowly I chipped away at the first lap. CTV turned up in St Aubin and then I gave myself a good talking to, reminded myself that this was not at all difficult - compared to the pain, distress and discomfort felt by those who might benefit from the fundraising - so time to shut up, stop moaning and get on with it. Rather than take the wind on the coast road going east to Gorey, I took the normally tougher Grouville Hill out of the wind and made Gorey in more comfort. The rest of the 2nd lap worked better from there and hey - what do you know - I'm back in St Aubin. 4 down - 6 to go. Jersey is stunning from the saddle, you should try it, although after Sunday, I may not rush back to the bike too quickly. Anyway time for sleep and it's not even 8.20pm!
Everything I've forgotten is in the next blog... Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment