Friday, October 8, 2010

Saturday - time to go

It's before 6:00am on a Saturday morning - basically too early - but my own fault for doing the whole 10 times around jersey on a bike thing. It's the back up team I mostly worry for and feel guilty for having dragged them in. When I say team, I really mean Anna. Every day, on every lap she has driven the route, waiting at each pre-arranged stop with fresh drinks, energy bars, cloths to wipe my glasses and encouragement.
By the finish, that will be 9 hours a day for 5 days of watching somebody ride a bike on the same roads, getting none of the glory, just my ever-changing moods and dips in momentum. Worst still, she has caught my cold and is a snuffling, sneezing mess, exhausted by the non-stop routine of ride-feed-ride-feed-sleep continually. Thank heavens she has been there at every corner of the route, shivering in the wind, wrapped up fleeces, especially as this was not part of the plan. The last two morning I've tried to sneek out without waking her and do a lap completely solo, but no matter how ill she is doesn't give up. How bad do I feel? It can only be measured by how lucky I am to have such wonderful support. What a star she has been.
Right, off for the first lap of Saturday. Murray

1 comment:

  1. Hi Murray (and Anna)
    You are both doing a fantastic job. We are so sorry to hear that you are both suffering from horrible colds, there is so much of it going around at the moment. You have got wonderful support in Anna and the rest of the team you are bound to make it. You are nearly there, the finishing post is just over the horizon. Keep up the good work. Will look in again tomorrow.
    Ros and Tony Parker from Sunny D (UK).

    ReplyDelete